Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Sherri Martel Autopsy Results..........by Gene Jackson
TUSCALOOSA | Homicide investigators said Monday that a toxicology report has determined “Sensational Sherri” Martel died of an accidental overdose of drugs.
Capt. Loyd Baker, commander of the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit, said the report obtained by detectives on Monday indicated several prescription medications were found in her bloodstream.
Baker said oxycodone, a medication commonly given to cancer patients, carried the highest concentration of the medications found in the system of Martel, 49.
“Sensational Sherri,” who was found dead in June at her mother’s home in McCalla, was considered one of the first ladies of wrestling.
She was a member of the WWE Hall of Fame and an AWA and WWF championship titleholder.